Saturday, July 31, 2010

Remember To Say I Love You

Remember to say "I love you"--seriously.  I think that too often we forget.  On that note--only say it when you truly mean it.  But when you are lucky enough to find that partner, friend, or family member that you love--TELL THEM!  Because you never know when it might be your last time.  A friend of mine found out earlier this week that a friend of hers just lost his life in Afghanistan.  She shared with me the news link, which showed this man's family.  One of the things that brought them comfort in this time was the fact that they had just talked to him the night before he was killed and he seemed in high spirits, and they exchanged "I love yous."  The following day he was killed in a car bombing.  In an instant so many lives were changed forever.  Remember to say "I love you."  I think that we take people for granted too much.  And I don't even think that it's something we do purposely.  And we don't realize the gift of their presence until they are gone.  And even just being apart for a certain amount of time.  These people that we have found along our journey in life are such special gems.  You are lucky to have one person to really understand you.  And I mean they really get you.  I take myself for example.  I'm an oversensitive and stubborn person.  My dad is always telling me that I'm too sensitive.  My response to this is always the same--I can't help the way that I feel.  And yes, I can try to not be so sensitive when I'm with him, but you get to a point where you just can't help it!  I'm also super stubborn, which is pointed out to me every day.  I do it because I am always happier when the people I am with are happy, but sometimes the conflict of wanting to please each other is incredibly annoying.  I'm many more things than oversensitive and stubborn, but let's start there.  These two things are things that I am constantly working on and things that people take on when they become a part of my life.  I have never been one to hide my feelings (that oversensitive side always just rears it's ugly head) so people always know how I am feeling.  This can be incredibly annoying.  These people who I love, love me beyond that.  And that takes commitment!  Let's be real!

All of this just kind of hit me tonight.  So here's what I say to you--take those people in your life who are really something.  The people who you want to invest your guts into--and do it.  Put your whole self into these people.  Love them, pray for them, laugh with them, cry with them.  Take them out to lunch when they've had a bad day.  Take them out to lunch when they are having the best day of their life.  Remember their birthday.  Bake them cookies because you love them.  And when they invite you to dinner bring a bottle of wine and a big hug.  Send them notes in the mail.  Look them in the eyes and tell them you love them, appreciate them, and that you realize how lucky you are to have this relationship.  What I have learned is that if you put yourself--your time, effort, love, care, and compassion into people you will receive the greatest gift from it--because the gift of friendship is priceless.  And when that person really appreciates who you are there is no better feeling in the world.

Go out into the world and spread love!  And smile at people!  It will turn their entire day around.

No comments:

Post a Comment