Wednesday, July 21, 2010

It Happened In A New York Minute...

...or at least that's how I feel about Sam's visit.  I feel like he got here and left a few hours later.  I just got home from the airport, cleaned, and now here I am.  I have two meetings today, but wanted to share Sam's visit.

He got here on Saturday evening.  Currie and I went to pick him up via train to bus to airport.  I hate taking the bus.  All that stop/go/stop/go makes me carsick.  But it was worth every minute to see Sam--dressed exactly as I thought he would be in shorts and a polo.  There is something so comforting about knowing that kind of stuff.  We took a cab back to my apt, dropped off his bag, and then went to Blockheads (famous for their $3 margs)...and so we had a few $3 margs...and then walked back to my apt.  It was great.  We spent the evening talking and catching up and just looking at each other!!  Sam is at camp so we rarely even get to video chat.  I know, I take video chatting for granted because it's such a new thing, but it's GREAT!!  Anyway, we woke up Sunday and hung out, went to Union Square and that night we saw FUERZA BRUTA, an off-Broadway show that we got an excellent deal on the tickets.  I had wanted to Sam to see this show for such a long time because I thought that it was something he would really enjoy and when the offer came along for discount tickets we jumped at them. FUERZA BRUTA is an amazing show where you are standing the entire time and constantly moving throughout the space while the performance happens in front, around, and above you.  After the show we walked around a little bit more and came back and crashed.  On Monday, Sam and I went to The Cloisters--off the A train at 190th St.  See the picture in my previous post to get an idea.  If you haven't been there and you live in NYC then you need to go!  It's this incredible park--and you don't even feel like you are in the city!  I had been up there previously and knew that it would be something that Sam would really enjoy.  On Tuesday we saw JERSEY BOYS...what a FUN show!!  The show is all about Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.  We got student rush tickets and sung the night away.  And then Sam left this morning :(.  It was so sad to see him go.  We are planning to see each other again in September--our one year anniversary and my birthday, but until then it will be back to our daily evening phone call and a few texts here and there.  When Sam is at camp he has terrible cell service and so we aren't able to communicate often.  It makes me realize how much we take advantage of communication.

So there it is--my past few days.  Sam has come and gone, but it was such a wonderful visit.  And the countdown to September begins!

In other news...my best friend from high school is making her way out to NYC TOMORROW!  Samantha will be here for a few days and staying with me for a night or two.  I am so excited to see her. She's an awesome person and someone who I am so proud to call a friend.  A sick and funny story...Samantha has a sister, Jo.  Sam (my boyfriend) has a brother, Joe...HOW WEIRD!!!!!!!!  Samantha and I met while working on THE MIRACLE WORKER in high school.  I was Assistant Directing and she was understudying Annie Sullivan.  The rest is pretty much history.  And we have both put in quite the effort to keep up with each other over the years.  I'm excited to see her and catch up and enjoy the city with her.

Ok, so there it really is--that's what's been going on.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment