Tuesday, August 17, 2010

5 Things

2 years ago I met a woman who told me that everyday I should write down 5 things that I was thankful for--a good practice to realize all that is full in your life.  I did it for awhile, and I really liked it, but eventually I stopped.  I didn't stop for any reason--I just didn't do it right.  I'd write on post-its, scraps of paper, etc.  All of these got lost along the way and I never made a true effort to keep up with them.

Well, I was given a journal for graduation and it's been sitting in my apartment asking to be written in.  But what to write?  Where to start?  Do I stop writing in my current journal just to start this one?  Do I write in both?  And then today it came to me...this will be my 5 thing journal.  So now I can practice reflection on a daily basis.  I think we are all too busy.  I saw "Eat, Pray, Love" the other day and one of the things that was pointed out was that we, as Americans, fill up our calendars too much.  So...here's my effort to take 5 minutes of reflection each day.  To be thankful for the big and the small--the things that matter to me.  That sounds a bit selfish, but it's the truth.  I encourage you to do the same.  To grab that journal that's been looking at you for the past week, month, year.  The one that has collected some dust and doesn't have a true home in your home.  Sit down with it, take a moment to just be with yourself, and then write down what it is that you're most thankful for on that day in that moment.  Nothing is too small.  Nothing too silly.

I would bet this is going to make my day a little bit brighter.  To walk around with my 5 things on my list.  And I bet it would make your day a little brighter too.  And if you need to start on post-its then do it!  Stick them somewhere that you'll see them and will make you smile.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for this. i shall brush off the dust of one of the journals i haven't started and make it my "5 things" journal.
    love your posts,
    angel eyes

    ReplyDelete