Thursday, October 28, 2010

What A Difference A Day Makes

Friends,

I feel like I need to update you on what's been going on in my life over the past week.  As some of you know I was offered a job at a PR company here in the city last Thursday.  Needless to say I jumped at the offer and I couldn't be more excited about this opportunity.  To be honest, it's sometimes hard to talk about, as in I feel a little bit guilty.  It's not that I feel like I don't deserve this--I do, but so many people need and deserve jobs right now.  I realize how lucky I am, and I just want to say those of you working in jobs you don't love (that was me a week ago), it will get better.  It will.  You just have to keep at it, but at the same time you can't beat yourself up over it.  I told my mom the Sunday before I found out about this job that I was going to cool my heels in the search until after the first of the year.  And four days later my phone rang.  Life is so funny like that.  And it's proof that you can only have so much control over what happens.  Once you accept where you are,  you can make an effort to get to where you want to be.

I'm keeping my retail job to work on the weekends through Christmas and maybe a few weekends a month after that.  I'm doing this for a few reasons: first, I really like some of the people I work with--they're good, genuine people.  And second, this job humbles me almost every day.  It's a reminder to me to never take anything too seriously and to always treat people with respect.  Sounds like an easy lesson, but you'd be surprised at some of the people I encounter on a day to day basis.

I'm super excited about my new job because it is totally an area that I'm really interested in and a place where I could do really well.  I'm not putting any pressure on myself though--I'm taking it one step at a time.  Who knows where this could go.  For right now I'm content with working hard, enjoying my workplace, and taking it as it comes.

1 comment:

  1. We may cool our heels sometimes, but we never cool the faith and energy we put out into the world. Feel no guilt, for what goes around, comes around...and it just did for you! Take it, hold onto it and go out and rock the world!

    angel eyes

    ReplyDelete