Sunday, October 17, 2010

My Friend Ishmael

One of the things that I really enjoy about New York is that everyone has a different story.  Most of the people that I encounter are not from New York originally, but something drove them here--and they are trying to make their way chasing that dream.  So, I ask most anyone why they're here.  And if the person seems willing I'll ask them a zillion questions about their life here--where they live, when they moved, when they graduated, etc etc etc.

My friend Ishmael has rocked my boat a little.

Ishmael is a 59 year old man who works 10 hours a day 6 days a week to support his wife and 5 kids that live in Western Africa.  And he is one of the kindest people I've ever met.  Ishmael has lived in New York City for 6 years working to support his family.  Puts things into perspective a little bit, doesn't it?  Of course we hear these stories, but when you encounter someone doing it, it's a whole new ball game.  Ishmael is fluent in French so he keeps me on my toes.  We chat about his family, the cultural differences, and I tell him about how my friend Samantha is studying abroad this year.  I tell him of her experiences, which I gather through her blog and emails.  He digests and gives me his opinions.  Ishmael travels back to Africa once a year for about a month, and he's planning on making the trip this November, but this time only for two weeks . When I asked him why he told me that he needed to be back here making money for his family.  Kills you, doesn't it?  It makes me realize how lucky I am that Sam is in the US and that I can call him whenever I want.

I think what jolts me is the fact that Ishmael is so vulnerable about the whole thing.  He tells it like it is and only hopes that one day he'll be able to return.  I appreciate all that he has told me about the culture and lifestyle of Western Africa.  I find it fascinating.  I appreciate every bit that he tells me.

Ishmael has taught me the lesson we all learned a long time ago--you never know what another person is going through.  We don't.  We can't open up their noggin and jump in.  Let's make an effort to be kind to each other--someone is always fighting a harder battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment