Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Shoe That Fits

I spent Labor Day weekend in North Carolina celebrating my one year anniversary with Sam and my birthday.  The weekend was perfect.  Getting to spend time with Sam was incredible.  And seeing friends was such a treat.  It's my first time being out of the city since I moved here.  And since I've been back I have been going over each moment over and over in my head.  The people, the places, the smells, the sights.  Every activity.  Every moment.  The lifestyle of living in a city where the common denominator of transportation is a car in which you decide when you go and how you go about getting from point A to point B.  And when I go over all the things that most people pass by each day my heart overflows. 

Working in retail in New York City is the most soul sucking job on the planet.  It challenges my faith in humanity some days because I am just aghast at how one person can treat another.  And so I have vowed to be the most friendly; the one who is always smiling--trying to provide an example so that we start to treat each other with a bit more respect.  And I don't set an example in a rude way, or in one that I hope to be recognized.  Rather, I would just hope that my vow for blind kindness is infectious because we never know what the other person is really going through.  

These days I'm interested in finding which shoe fits--a harder task than I might have first thought.  I have always given my all and invested in the experiences around me.  And I continue to do that.  And although I appreciate all of the love and support from so many people around me near and far, I am learning that the only person I can listen to is myself because everyone is always going to have a different opinion.  And when I need help or input I will ask because sometimes two heads are better than one.  And on that note let me just say that I do hope you only keep the people around who want the best for you, even if selfishly it might not be the best for them.  

So here's to you and your closet of shoes.  Who knows which one will be the perfect fit...but if you never try it on how will you ever know?

No comments:

Post a Comment