Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A House of Friendship

One of the hardest things about living in New York is being far from some of my closest friends.  I miss their energy on a daily basis--something I am certain I took advantage of when I saw these people all day every single day.

I've been thinking a lot about that word--friend--what it really is and how precious they are to a person's life.  And when I think about it, I think about a house.  So much effort goes into building a house, from the blueprint to the last detail.  The foundation must be laid, the house designed just right, and the location is key.  When you walk into an old house in particular, you can't help but take in the weight of it.  There is a fullness that is unlike any other.  So much work has gone into this house and through many years it has stood the test of time.  It has survived heavy thunderstorms and winters that you thought would never end.  This house protected you and kept you safe.  But...you've done your part too.  A lot of work has gone into this house to keep it in shape because you cannot help wear and tear.

True friendship is like this.  Time, effort, and love go into it.  It will never be perfect, and things will happen that make you worry it won't make it, but even after the harshest storm, there it stands.  Strong.  Solid.  Humbled by the storm

I think that we never stop learning.  And time and time again this is proven to me.  Just when I think I have it, whatever it really is, figured out something happens to make me come back to the beginning and evaluate again.  I appreciate this practice because I feel like it helps us strip away the excess and helps us get to the core.

The same goes for your family too.  They are your home.  As my parents always say--family is all you've got.  So go forth and build and remember that a solid house can weather any storm.

1 comment:

  1. so wise young lady...you have a special something. Keep writing!,
    angel eyes

    ReplyDelete