Sunday, May 1, 2011

To My Mom For Mother's Day

My mom just came to visit me in NYC.  She saw the apartment I've been living in for the last year and got a chance to see the apartment I'll be moving into in a few weeks.  It was such a special trip.  So, in the spirit of my rockstar mom and the fact that Mother's Day is quickly approaching, I thought it fitting to do some bragging.  My dad says he never brags on his kids.  He lies.  He does, but I like to think he does it in a classy way.  We all love to gush about people we're excited about--we want to share them with the world.  The trick is to find the line of annoyance. Bragging is funny--if done in a classy way it's wonderful--special, exciting--you want to share and spread joy.  But, people easily take it too far and that's where bragging gets its bad reputation.

I think that Mother's Day is often overlooked and that, unfortunately, we don't take the time to tell our mothers thank you for all that they have done for us.

So, to my mom, thank you.  Thank you for the sacrifices you've made for me.  Thank you for the support and unconditional love.  Thank you for putting me first.  You have been such an incredible example to me and I strive to be like you everyday.  You're my role model and best friend and I admire you more than any other woman I know.  Thank you for your hard work, compassion, and strength.  Thank you for never saying "no" and always being up to the task--whether that be finding milky pens (and purchasing a Sam's Club membership) or a 3 hour visit to Ikea on a Saturday night.  I am so proud of all you have accomplished and I think you are superwoman.  On Mother's Day I will celebrate you, but I hope you know that you are celebrated everyday.  I will never be able to express how much I love you.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom.  I love you!

3 comments:

  1. And I am sure that brought a huge tear to your Mom's eye Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the most special daughter a mom could ever have! Thank you my sweet child! You have been my gift everyday since the day you were born!
    I love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexandra~I am overwhelmed on so many levels~You are some special gal~Your dad does brag about you and yes in the way you speak about in this blog~Your dad speaks of you with elegance and grace and so much love for you~He has the utmost respect for you and tremendous pride~after reading this post i clearly get a sense of why he would feel the way he does~

    It clearly seems you have been blessed on many levels~I can come from personal experience when I say if you have a mom who embraces you that is half the battle won in life~Furthermore having loving parents increases your chances for a successful journey as you venture out into the real world~

    Your mom in return seems to have been equally blessed with a special daughter as well!~ Your blog is incredible~Thank you for friending me~ You are an inspiration~ Fondly~Lou❤
    http://laura-writeclub.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete